Because the leading cause of death and injury to children is car accidents, Pennsylvania has adopted the following law: “All children under age 8 must be in an approved child restraint when riding anywhere in the vehicle.” Therefore, it is the policy of Geisinger-Lewistown Hospital that all infants discharged from our newborn nursery should be transported from the hospital in a federally approved child restraint that has been properly secured in the automobile.
To assure your baby’s safety, it is required that your approved child restraint device be brought to The Family Place Unit on the day of discharge. At that time, you will place your baby in the car seat and a staff member will double check the safety of your infant. A parent will also be responsible for installing the car seat in the vehicle upon discharge.
Some important things to remember:
- To protect your baby, the seat must be placed in the car properly. Check the car owner’s manual and follow all the directions that come with the seat.
- The car seat must be rear facing for all infants up to one year of age and 20 pounds.
- Never place a rear facing car seat in front of an airbag.
- When a child is rear facing, the shoulder harnesses should come out of the seat at or below the child’s shoulders. When forward facing, the shoulder harness straps should come out of the child’s seat above the shoulders.
- The restraining clip on the harness should be at armpit level.
- The harness should be tight enough that you cannot pinch excess harness strap at the shoulder.
- It is recommended to replace a carseat which is over six years old or has been in a car accident.
- To properly restrain the infant seat in the vehicle, it should be tight enough that when you move the car seat, you are moving the car. The car seat should not move within the vehicle.
Current Safety Seat Recall Information
Child safety restraints may be rented from the following:
Geisinger-Lewistown Hospital's The Family Place: Child safety seats may be rented from any staff member at time of discharge. A $15 deposit is required at time of rental. Return the seat to the newborn nursery on the sixth floor, when returned within 4 weeks, and in good condition, $13 will be refunded by mail.
Mifflin County Child Development: Call (717) 242-1454 for more information.